Thursday 24 February 2011

Tsunami Warning System


      

23/2/2011
Viktor Zivojinovic
7A

Tsunami or a tidal wave represents a series of tidal waves which is caused by the displacement of large masses of water. Tsunami can occur in oceans, but they can also occur in large lakes. They are very dangerous and can cause much damage to coastal regions. Tsunamis are most frequent in Japan and other Asian countries. In recent years scientists stopped using the term tidal wave because tsunamis actually have nothing to do with tide. 
Different things can cause tsunamis, such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and underwater explosions. Tsunamis can also be generated by other disturbances, that is mass movements, above or below the water. The principal cause of a tsunami is a change in movement of the sea. It is very important to say that tides do not pay any part in the creation of tsunamis and that is the reason why they are not any more referred to as tidal waves.
                     More thorough researches were conducted during the 20th century. Early scientific texts refer to tsunamis as “seismic sea waves”
                     On an internet site (nctr.pmel.noaa.gov/Mov/DART_04.swf) I found out how tsunamis are detected. In this process a G.O.E.S. satellite is very important. Assessment and reporting of tsunamis begin with a surface buoy which is placed on the ocean surface by a ship. Also, a bottom pressure detector is placed at the bottom of the ocean. When the earth below the water begins to shake, signals are sent to the surface buoy by the bottom pressure detector. Then, the surface buoy sends signals to the satellite. That is how tsunamis warning centers on the West Coast/Alaska are informed about disturbances under the water.

Tsunamis are very deadly because they can harm the environment and kill a lot of animals, also is brakes houses and then people don’t have shelter where they can rest, they are the one worst thing that can to a country.

I know how is it for the people when a tsunami is happening trust me you don’t want to be there you can get heart very badly or even get killed. When I was In Puket in Tiland  an tsunami occurred.
My family and I enjoyed our time in Puket it was one of the best places where I when for vacation, everybody is friendly everybody will help you whatever you want. I was there with my family and some other fried’s that were with us. My mum can feel that some thin bad is going to happen and she couldn’t sleep at all same as my dad. My brother was to annoyed there because he didn’t have any friends there I had, so he assisted to go back to Serbia I was assisting to stay one more day because I enjoyed there, and my mum wanted to go too. So we went because the flight was so long we had to stop somewhere and have one night sleep in a hotel because our flight was next day, that mooring  we put the TV on and it said then an tsunami occurred I Tiland Puket and that It killed a lot of people that were that. (wow I was lucky I went one day earlier)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment